Monday, January 30, 2012

On Tel Aviv (!)

I'm not too sure where to begin on this post. I have too much to say for one post, so this will be the first in a series of a few.

I've decided Jerusalem isn't a city. By all technical definitions, I guess it would have to be a city. A million people strong would have to make it a city. But it never really felt like a city. Sure, I whined a bit about the urban plight and sacrifices necessary to adjust to live in a place with the density of a waddle of penguins huddling for comfort (a slightly applicable analogy). Still, Jerusalem is safe. Most everyone is religiously Jewish, and Jewish values promote a very…interesting environment. Needless to say, Jerusalem is different. It's not a city in the way New York, or Boston, or Hartford, for that matter, are. It's too wealthy, too beautiful, and the culture is based so heavily on tourism that it feels like I was living in a zoo. I hated being grouped with the American tourists because I spoke English (I mean, I am an American tourist, but, like, yeah). The nightlife in Jerusalem is even weirder. It's a mix of religious Americans and asshole Israelis, granted there are some interesting people here and there. I guess I'm coming to realize this as I type this, but it was never really my scene.

Tel Aviv is a fucking city. The roads are constantly brimming with people. Density got bumped up a notch to slave ship status (terribly analogy, I'm sorry…still, relatively applicable). Urbanization is everywhere. Plots of land are perfectly rectangular, with buildings nuzzling their neighbors. The city is not a perfect grid, but most of the city follows a general north-south pattern, our neighborhood especially. And it's big. I mean, big is relative. Jake from London doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about, but compared to Jerusalem, and compared to Hartford, Tel Aviv is huge. I'll talk geography at some later post, when I've had the change to significantly explore the city.

Beach after a stormy day
We live in Florentine, a neighborhood in southern Tel Aviv, originally built to house an influx of immigrants (I think Baltics this time). It's pretty hood, as most immigrant neighborhoods are. Nowadays, there's a mix of immigrant workers and hipsters living in Florentine (I guess it's ironic to live in the ghetto). But actually, there's been a significant revival effort in the neighborhood and it's now one of the trendiest places in Tel Aviv for the younger crowd. There are some really, really cool places. Hoodna Bar has live music most nights. Chocolulu's restaurant has some of the best food I've had in Israel. Levinski Market is miniature shuk. I'm more than happy to be here. It's something so different from anything else I've experienced.
Dinner at Chocolulu's
 Most importantly, there's a wide spectrum of peoples in Tel Aviv, not just religious. Secularity…There are people who play ultimate every day; there are people who kitesurf every day; there are people who bike instead of drive a car, and people who live in tents . There are people who love life, and there are people who hate it more than anything else. Diversity here is limitless.
Graffiti everywhere...everywhere
Our apartment is pretty chilled. It's four of us: Ari, I, and two new kids—Michael Fooks and Adam Wertheimer. They come from extremely different backgrounds as us, but we get along well enough. They're clean people, which goes a long, long way. The place itself is pretty nice in it's layout. It's small, but well furnished and it has a homey feeling to it.

The social dynamic has been a bit revamped. Our section has doubled in size, and we've been integrating relatively seamlessly (from my end). Aardvark has been dealt a pretty good hand this time around. Many of the new kids are more than willing to step outside their comfort zone, willing to explore and do and see things they've never done before. Of course, there are people who aren't, but it's nice to have a larger circle of peers to socialize with. I think 44 is a good number (certainly not the first time I've seen this number). Ari and I have been cooking more than ever, and we've been having people come over mostly every night for dinner. Last night, I made goat cheese, balsamic reduction pasta, wild rice, and Ari made eggplant parmesan, to entertain a crowd of about 8. It's really great fun.
New faces!
I've been keeping to some very good habits. I've started eating mostly organic food (my breakfast this morning was muesli and chai). I've been passionate about my volunteering (see my next post). I've been writing, reading, and meditating often. I've been practicing Hebrew frequently with friends, as well as studying on my own. I've been very productive, neat, hygienic, responsible, and social. I barely have touched my computer since I moved to Tel Aviv. And I feel really, really good about myself, and I feel healthy.

We Will Commit Wolf Murder - of Montreal

No comments:

Post a Comment