Monday, March 26, 2012

On Tel Aviv (...)

So it's been just about forever since I've last posted, and I feel like I've disappointed a few people in so doing. I apologize. Things have been hectic over here, and I've been either constantly occupied or completely uninspired to write. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I wrote anything (tsk tsk). My last post was from my travels to Gita. I feel like so much has happened since then. First off, the weather has changed. It's more or less sunny every day now and the beach is becoming a more and more alluring alternative to mundane housework. I've been more invested in what I do with every minute of my life, which is awesome. I love my volunteering placement, and I'm learning some really good skills if I ever want to pursue woodworking.

This post is more going to be about what Tel Aviv has come to mean to me, and what it's like living in a metropolis after growing up in a relatively sheltered lifestyle in suburban Connecticut. Things are different here, not only from America, but from the rest of Israel. People refer to Tel Aviv as the country of Tel Aviv, as it's so distant ideologically and culturally. Yes it's still a Jewish city, you'll still see people wearing kipas (though not nearly as frequently), and everyone still speaks Hebrew, but it's by no means the Israel I've seen living in Jerusalem and traveling. There's just too many immigrants, too many worked faces, and not enough smiles. Not that there aren't happy people, but rather the people here are more realistic and more grounded. They don't have an overarching idealism to provide for them a joy that could blind them into making stupid decisions (let's settle here!, etc.), nor are they blissed out in the comfort of communism (or as close as it might get to it). They are just people trying to get by.
Azreili Center by night
So the people here are a bit grumpy, but I guess you could say that makes them more interesting. I haven't really met too many residents of Tel Aviv, but they all seem really cool. Our upstairs neighbor was telling me about these meditation workshops he goes to where you can't talk or communicate with anyone for ten days and this all-rice diet he's trying. The people who frequent the bars all seem like cool people. Even the guy who stole my bike is awesome…jokes. Oh yeah, my bike got stolen. So did Ari's.
Biking around Ramat Gan
For the most part, I've been in Tel Aviv this last month and a half until this past week, which I'll write about in another post. And I've just been living, or learning how to live properly I guess. It's hard to remember all that I've done, as a lot of it has just been slight variations on my weekly schedule. I've been doing a lot of chilling, I guess. My time spent in Tel Aviv is relatively unremarkable, which goes into why I'm planning on spending a considerable amount of time outside of Tel Aviv these coming few months.

I guess that's pretty much it for the city. It's relatively adventureless…I find there's remarkably fewer places to explore than in Jerusalem. I can't see myself living in a city when I'm older, it's just too urban and mostly all forms of entertainment here cost money.
Settlers (the good kind)
I should probably add in a snippet of what Aardvark's been like. It's good. The program itself is a bit tedious at this point, but they've gotten a lot more chilled about my antics (although I guess there haven't been too many antics recently). Our madrich, Ori, is really great. I think we lucked out with having him. I have tentative plans to go hiking and mountain biking with him (although since my bike has been nabbed, not sure how that's going down).

Our roommate sucks. Honestly, I can't imagine a worse roommate. He doesn't clean, he bitches all the time, he never leaves the apartment, and he has a completely backwards set of values that creates a very tense atmosphere whenever conversation creeps pasts the casual, "how was volunteering?" or "how's it going?". It's difficult, but I guess it's a learning experience. And his taste in music sucks.

I'm dreading having to live in dorms next year. I think that's going to be a huge step backwards. I won't have a kitchen to cook in, I won't be able to hang out with people on my own time, and I won't have a space to call my own (unless I bring my car…cough cough).

This year is coming to a close soon. The transition back home is going to be interesting, to say the least. I'm desperately planning weekends already, trying to maximize the rest of my time here.

Places I need to go (in order of importance):
• Jordan – Dead Sea (hiking)
• Judea – Nahal Dalgutz
• Negev – Mitzpe Ramon
• Judea – Ein Prat (Kidron)
• Jordan – Red Canyon
• Upper Galilee – Magdal al-Shams (and Hermon)
• Egypt – Dahab
• Lower Galilee – Beit She'an

So that's it, I guess. I'm going to write a bunch of blogs today to make up for neglecting to keep people updated.
Hiking through the Ben Shemen Forest
Shalom v'ahava

Mandala - Thievery Corporation

No comments:

Post a Comment